A common pain in the foot for seniors!
Plantar fasciitis is a condition of pain and damage to the connective tissue under your foot where it attaches to your heel. Most people experience this as a sharp burning pain under the heel as you get up to walk first thing in the morning. Not a great way to start your day!
There are many factors that may lead to increased risk of plantar fasciitis, including:
As you enter middle age the supporting muscles of the feet and in particualr the arch of your foot start to weaken. This increases your risk… Sorry! Some other common factors are:
- Biomechanics – having “flat feet” (pronated feet) or high arches can lead to increased strain on the plantar fascia;
- Being overweight – increased weight can overload the plantar fascia and cause pain;
- Poor foot wear – for example shoes without much arch support or very high heels;
- Pregnancy – weight gain and hormonal changes can increase pressure on the plantar fascia; and
- Prolonged periods of standing particularly on hard surfaces.
Encara’s therapists can help!
Your visiting physiotherapist can assess and begin treatment to reduce your pain and improve your funciton. Our podiatrists can also assist with bimechanical support to prevent the underlying cause of your pain.
Encara’s multidisciplinary allied heath team have the knowledge and skills to identify and treat a wide range of difficult musculoskeletal disorders in the comfort of your home.
To learn more about Encara call 1300 761 965 or complete the form below to get in contact!